– Isn’t simply choosing a proper weight loss diet sufficient to fight against extra kilograms?
It is important to understand that obesity is a chronic disease with relapses that accompanies people through their entire life. That is, if you are destined to fight overweight, you will not get rid of it once and for all. Undesired kilograms will keep coming back. Bariatric Surgery is designed to help those patients, who can not lose weight on their own and with the help of conservative methods.
– When does the time come to sound an alarm?
If your body mass index (BMI) is 35 kg/m² or higher, you already need to consult a bariatric surgeon. After all, only a specialist will be able to determine the indications for surgical methods of obesity correction. In such cases, it is important to take into account the individual patient’s characteristics.
– Many obese people do not consider themselves sick, and treat the excess weight as inconvenience.
Such attitude to the problem is fundamentally wrong! As a rule, obesity always goes together with the metabolic syndrome. This concomitant bouquet of diseases is called the “death quartet”, which includes:
- fatty liver disease,
Bariatric surgery not only helps patients to lose weight, but also to get rid of these diseases. For example, type II diabetes goes away on the 4th day after the operation. Then, the volume of the liver decreases by 50% and the arterial hypertension goes away in 80% of cases.
– It is impressive and seems incredible. It turns out that surgery is a panacea?
Well, we can not say that. However, it can be said with certainty that it provides the fastest and lasting weight loss result, which the patient maintains for 10 and 15 years. Further on, the health condition should be observed and corrected, yet the initial weight will not return.
– Any surgical intervention frightens people, so the safety issue stands, of course, in the first place.
We hasten to reassure you that bariatric surgeries are safe enough, even though they are technically very complex (performed by laparoscopy). Again, an individual approach is required. Therefore, all nuances are spoken out in the informed patient’s consent.
– Another issue that every person wants to know about is the cost of the operation. Is it true that bariatric surgery is not a cheap weight loss method?
– This issue is directly related to the previous one, about safety. All bariatric surgery clinics should approach it with great responsibility. Therefore, all equipment, medicines and other consumables should be chosen exclusively of high quality and new generation.
At the same time, at least 7 highly qualified doctors are involved in each operation. Patients entrust their life to the doctors, and the cost of the operation is, in fact, the price of his safety and the quality of the manipulations performed!